The name of the museum is associated with the archbishop D.Diogo de Sousa (1461 – 1532) who was responsible for renovating and remodeling the city of Braga and for collecting and preserving its oldest archaeological remnants. The first initiatives for the protection of Braga's archaeological heritage were taken by D.Diogo de Sousa and it is with his name that the Museum is associated.
Between the 16th ant 19th centuries there were a number of attempts to create a museum but it was not until 1918 that the “Museum of the History of Art and Archaeology” was established. Unfortunately, due to adverse circumstances, the museum did not function regularly until 1980 when it was revitalized as the Regional Museum of Archaeology. Since then it has focused its activity on the preservation and exhibition of local and regional archaeological patrimony.
It is administered by the Institute of Museums and Conservation and is part of the Portuguese Network of Museums and the Atlantic Axis Museums.
The Building It was decided to build the Museum in the best preserved and most important archaeological area of the city. Carlos Guimarães and Luís Soares Carneiro are the authors of the architectonic project. It has three main linked bodies - the technical and of services sector, the cafeteria and public area.
The technical sector comprises of a restoration laboratory and other related sectors concerned with the study, protection and preservation of the collections and those belonging to other museums of the region.
The public area comprises of exhibition spaces, an auditorium, a shop, a library, educational services and a garden with direct access.
DepartmentsThe Museum objective is to support archaeological investigation, cultural divulgation, teaching and the protection and preservation of regional archaeological patrimony. The Museum has technicians specialized in specific areas that support investigations and the valorization of places and archaeological collections such as conservation, archaeological drawing and public information.
Follow our webpage Museu D. Diogo de Sousa.